Infrastructure Engineer (Western Hemisphere)
Normally we hire candidates for our Engineering team from anywhere in the world. However, right now we are in need of someone who can help during Western Hemisphere business hours (UTC -2 to UTC -10.) If you're excited about this role but your main working hours aren't in those time zones, please check back later as we'll be hiring again later in 2018.
We're looking for someone to join our Infrastructure Engineering team at Zapier. Are you interested in helping scale and automate the billions of tasks connecting the world's business data? Then read on…
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You are a hybrid software engineer. You can cross systems, DevOps, and application software boundaries. You have a history of shipping high-quality production code in Python. You are skilled working directly on the command line. You embrace automation and take pride in building internal tools to help your team be more efficient. You are not afraid to jump into application code to ship a new feature or infrastructure code to help scale a system.
You solve challenges involving scaling, reliability, high availability, data pipelines, micro-services, and more in your day-to-day work. You are comfortable building and scaling applications on one or more technologies that make up our AWS stack, including Python, Django, RabbitMQ, Zookeeper, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, Redis, Memcache, Postgres, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible and more.
You have experience working with databases. You are comfortable modeling database schemas and writing queries across a variety of data sources. You are able to work with data scientists to help understand what's happening in a production system and how to use it intelligently.
You have worked with teams before scaling large projects. You understand that automation plays a critical role in scaling. You have designed and implemented systems in a distributed manner and are comfortable scaling these systems across hundreds (and even thousands) of servers. You have no problem keeping systems like these running even while you sleep…because you've automated it.
You love doing things efficiently. At Zapier, the work you do will have a disproportionate impact on the business. We believe in systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
You love learning. Engineering is an ever-evolving world. You enjoy playing with new tech and exploring areas that you might not have experience with yet.
You love to set your own direction. At Zapier, we have one team meeting each week and one-on-one meetings every month. Between those we chat in Slack and then go make things happen.
You are friendly and patient, welcoming, considerate, and respectful. Learn more about these attributes in our code of conduct.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Solve and implement scalability improvements to keep tasks running efficiently for millions of users
- Implement systems to improve developer efficiency
- Automate disaster recovery efforts, including introducing random "chaos" into the system to test and improve overall resiliency to failures
- Build tooling to increase visibility into our running production systems, measure performance continuously, and act upon changes
- Give back to the community via open source and blog posts
- Experiment: this is a startup so everything can change as we experiment with doing more custom partnership work
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. Our team of 100+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.