VP of Support
We're looking for a VP of Support. If you think helping our team provide a world class customer support function will define the future of the web, read on…
We know applying for and taking on a new a job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we're looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if you meet these criteria:
You care deeply about helping millions of people learn to be more productive at work through tools like Zapier and you're eager to nurture and effective team to reach that goal.
- You're a skilled Customer Support strategist. You're passionate about all aspects of the customer experience. You’re driven to build a system that gives customers a great experience when using Zapier, but also gets them back on track when the product confuses them
- You're able to translate ambiguity into tactical plans. As part of a leadership team, you know how to take a broad company initiative and turn it into tactical plans that help achieve company goals.
- You're an effective team builder. This isn't your first experience growing a team. You have the lessons learned from scaling teams beyond 100+ people. You know how to recruit, hire, train, and develop Support teams. You optimize for efficient teams over bigger teams.
- You're resourceful and adept at managing projects. You have experience working across functional teams and effectively collaborating with roles such as design, engineering, marketing, and data, in order to empower support team members to execute projects.
- You're adaptable. You've thrived in fast-growing companies and know how to build, change, and quickly meet the needs of a company as it evolves. You're proficient in developing strategies to best help customers in low-touch environments.
- You're motivated to always keep learning and experimenting. You'll be managing a diverse team of 50 Customer Champions, as well as influence with other roles and functions inside Zapier as well. You don't need to be an expert on everything, but you should have basic working knowledge that allow you to collaborate effectively with your direct team and with your peers.
- You're a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You'll use written summaries and reports to communicate strategy, plans, findings, and results to the Support and full Zapier team.
- You're a champion for doing things efficiently. At Zapier, the work you do will have a disproportionate impact on the business. We believe in systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
- You understand Customer Support is a competitive advantage. The experiences we give to customers through support will define their experience with the product as a whole. You're committed to ensuring your team sets a high bar for those experiences.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Define metrics for customer happiness, setting goals for those metrics and consistently communicating plans & progress to the team
- Collaborate with the executive and Support teams to further build Support's long-term vision and execute an effective short-term plan
- Build an effective Support team of managers and individuals whose work will have an outsized impact on our goals.
- Regularly work with other functional areas (Data, Product, Engineering, Platform, etc) to ensure alignment on Support's priorities and allow us to take advantage of opportunities for collaboration.
- Create hiring plans for the Support team that allow us to reach our goals and raise the bar on the quality of the team
- Plug the holes: You should be comfortable executing on a variety of support and management related tasks yourself to help finish items when the team doesn't have dedicated resources and outsourcing or hiring isn't an option
- Help customers via email or chat every week to ensure they have the best experience possible, troubleshooting their problems and answering their questions.
As part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best experience with Zapier as possible.
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
About Zapier Support
Zapier allows users to connect over 1000 apps together in an incalculable number of combinations, and the support team helps those users be successful for any of those combinations. We do support exclusively via email, with Help Scout as our helpdesk of choice and a bevy of custom internal tools to make troubleshooting easier. As of 5/1/18 the team is 45 people, 8 managers and 37 individual contributors, and we had 100% retention in 2017.
The Support team also contributes to other areas aside from helping users directly. Support owns Zapier's user-facing [help documentation](https://zapier.com/help), keeping it up to date and adding new docs where they would make an impact. Support's training arm not only helps ensure new hires get up to speed, but runs our All Hands Support program to ensure new hires outside of Support get trained up on the product. We also have a group of people who assist our Platform team in making the apps on Zapier more successful (via UX reviews and similar application of our domain expertise) and there are support teammates that embed on product teams to serve as a conduit between Support and the work those teams are doing to make Zapier better.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. Our team of 100+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.