We're looking for a Software Engineer to join our App Improvement team at Zapier. Interested in helping improve Apps on Zapier that help our partners support their customers automate more efficiently? Then read on.
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we're looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if you meet these criteria:
You love collaborating with teammates to understand and address their data needs and help them become more effective.
You have substantial experience with Web APIs. In this role, you'll be building integrations against partners' APIs. You'll need to know and love Web APIs.
You are a skilled programmer. You don’t expect to come up with designs and leave implementation to others. Instead, you dig in and get stuff done. You'll be working in Python and/or Node on a day to day basis but we want to hear from you if you have experience in other languages too.
You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You can communicate unfamiliar technical topics clearly and in an approachable way.
You want to do what's best for users. Integrations are at the core of Zapier's value to our customers, and we want to keep building ones that are of the highest quality and solve our customers' needs.
You enjoy helping others learn from your experience. You'll love assisting other engineers to learn from your background and will be continually looking to learn new things yourself.
You understand that perfect is the enemy of the good. One of our core values is defaulting to action. You can ship code and systems that just work and work simply, while iterating as needed to get towards better solutions.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Build and maintain Apps on the Zapier platform for crucial APIs
- Migrate applications to new APIs as the need arises
- Talk to partner engineers about changes to APIs and impacts that might have on Zapier customers
- Help the team build tooling to help other app developers and help Zapier scale to 1000s of developers using the Zapier platform
- Help other engineers on the team and across Zapier
- As a part of Zapier's all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
- Experiment: this is a startup so everything can change as we experiment with doing more custom partnership work
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we usually would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have a significant impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small groups mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. Our team of 100+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.