VP of Engineering
We're looking for a senior engineering leader to help grow our engineering team and play a critical role in shaping the culture of a 100% remote team. Interested in heading a remote team on a mission to help everyone be more productive at work? Then read on…
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we're looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if you meet these criteria:
You're motivated by finding the brightest engineers, coaching and supporting those engineers through stellar management, building a product that supports millions of users at scale, and helping grow a team from 50 to 150+ engineers.
You are a skilled and empathic manager. You've managed and interacted with many types of engineers and managers alike. The current engineer team at Zapier includes 40+ engineers and managers of many functions like frontend, backend, QA, support and more.
You are comfortable supporting product delivery. You've owned delivery of significant products, helping engineering functions organize and prioritize work and ensure the process is helping them be productive.
You are a skilled recruiter and team builder. You know great engineering teams can have an outsized impact at building product customers love, so you focus ample time on hiring.
You've scaled engineering teams before. You've been involved in growing engineering teams and would be well suited to help grow Zapier from ~50 to ~100 engineers and beyond. You may not have led the team, but you have provided valuable leadership to help shape the engineering culture in those critical growth stages. For most roles, we're flexible on experience levels, but here we need you to have managed managers, with at least 30 engineers in your direct reporting line. Additionally, the engineering organization in total should have been more than 50 engineers.
You are a skilled mentor and coach. You realize the best way to grow a team is by helping them to grow themselves. You're able to effectively share your experience and provide a clear framework for growth.
You are a skilled engineer. We don't expect you to write code on a regular basis, but you've done it for years and have lots of stories and advice to share based on prior experience. If you have experience in our stack (JS + Python) that is helpful!
You are product, business, and customer focused. You are able to relate to our customers and partners to provide and translate business vision into technical vision in a simple and clear manner.
You're a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You'll use written summaries and reports to communicate vision, strategy, plans, findings, and results to the engineering and full Zapier team.
You're a champion for doing things efficiently. At Zapier, the work you do will have a disproportionate impact on the business. We believe in systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Join a well functioning engineering team -- no need to "right the ship" here!
- Have a handful of engineering manager direct reports right out the gate. You would report directly to a co-founder/CTO.
- Ensure the engineering team is delivering on the roadmap by coordinating between product (PMs, product leadership) and engineering. Keep abreast of progress and making changes or tweaks as necessary.
- Track upcoming hires, open roles, and manage staffing considerations. This may involve jumping into the hiring process when the team needs a bit of backup or may involve helping align teams by defining areas of focus.
- Keep the bar high in hiring -- helping the team resist the constant pressure to settle after an already long, hard, and exhausting hiring process.
- Create and maintain a culture of building a diverse and inclusive team, including specialized outreach, recruitment practices, and community engagement.
- Actively lead the build out of the engineering management team -- recruiting, screening, interviewing, and onboarding great engineering managers, or growing them from within.
- Introduce new functions or specialties within the engineering team -- for example, roles like: QA, security, network, support, release, etc.
- Introduce new layers of management and functions in a JIT fashion, resisting the creation of hierarchy for hierarchy's sake and clearly communicating to the team the problems it solves.
- Ensure various budgets (like tooling, education, etc) within the engineering team are used effectively.
- Actively engage and participate in the process of engineering through RFCs, code and architecture reviews, bug fixes, and tooling or deployment improvements.
- Experiment: this is a startup so everything can change
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, every week help customers have the best possible experience with Zapier
About Zapier Engineering
Every second Zapier makes thousands of API requests to thousands of partners. Each API call comprises a "step" in a user configurable workflow we liken to "LEGOs for APIs". Behind the scenes we use and contribute to lots of open source software, employ some pretty complex data modeling to figure out when APIs are having problems, and lots more!
We have a handful of teams specializing on frontend, backend, platform, data, and infrastructure -- though we try not to draw lines too strongly. We employ a "home team, away game" sort of model -- engineers have a "home team" with an engineering manager aligned to their skillset like frontend, but play "away games" by working with a PM for medium and long term projects.
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. Our team of 100+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.